How to Get rid of Fleas

How to Get Rid of Fleas

Getting rid of fleas on your cat or dog alone does not resolve the flea problem as only about 5% of fleas are actually living on your pet. The other 95% of fleas (in one stage of the flea life cycle or another) are living somewhere in your home or yard. That is why it is so important to kill the fleas in your home and on your pet at the same time. Follow these easy steps to get rid of fleas.


Life Cycle

Fleas go through metamorphosis. This includes four life stages: egg, larva, pupa, and adult. The time spent in each stage of life depends on living conditions including but not limited to temperature and humidity.

Where Fleas Live

Flea larvae are normally found in dark places, such as cracks in the floor. Adult fleas are commonly found on pets and in the areas where pets spend the most time, such as pet beds, yards, and furniture.

How Fleas Cause Harm

Fleas cause harm by feeding off pets and sometimes humans. They leave irritated raised bumps that itch.

How to Get Rid of Fleas

Follow this step-by-step approach to getting rid of fleas out of your clothes, blankets, rugs, carpets, furniture, and off your pets.

Ants120°F5 mins
Bed Bug115°F7 mins
Cockroach130°F7 mins
Dust Mites140°F8 mins
Fleas140°F10 min
Termites125°F10 mins
Scabies122°F10 mins
Lice130°F30 mins
Carpet Beetle120°F30 mins
Moths120°F30 mins
Fleas140°F10 min

Attention: While the ZappBug units are capable of getting up to 140F they are designed to work best at 120F, and you may have to make adjustments when treating at higher temperatures. If you are unable to get up to 140F you may need to treat smaller loads, and keep in mind that it will take longer to get up to temperature. Always make sure you’re using the ZappBug in rooms with an ambient temperature of 70F or higher, and if you are unable to treat on carpeting make sure to place insulation such as cardboard or an area rug between your unit and the flooring to aid the unit in reaching 140F.


Step 1: Use heat to get rid of fleas. Adult fleas, larvae, pupae and eggs are easily destroyed with the use of a ZappBug heating unit. Place the infested (or possibily infested) items into the unit, and once the temperature probe reads 140 degrees Fahrenheit just heat treat for an hour. You may have to do smaller loads than you would for other pests to ensure the unit reaches 140F.

  • Fleas die at 140 degress in ten minutes (we recommend treating for one hour to be sure all fleas are dead).
  • Delicate clothing that can’t be washed can be treated in ZappBug units
  • Makes it easy to treat rugs and other house hold items
  • Our larger ZappBug Room allows you to heat treat larger furniture, such as couches and beds.


Learn more about how heat treatment works by visiting our products page and viewing our treatment video. You will see how easy it is to use our ZappBug heating units, and why heat treatment is the best way to get rid of Fleas quickly and effectively.

Prevent Fleas Infestations

Flea infestations are easier to prevent than to control.

  • Heat treat any old clothing, pet toys, pet bedding or furniture purchased at yard sales.
  • Keep your furniture, bedding, pet toys, pet bedding, and clothes clean
  • Vacuum frequently to remove accumulations of lint, pet and human hair, dirt, and other organic debris
  • Since fleas fall off and live in your pet living areas, keep your pets’ bedding or the areas they reside the most extra clean.
  • Add Diatomaceous Earth to your carpets
  • Fleas are found were your pet goes to the bathroom as well. Keep liter boxes clean and add Diatomaceous Earth to your lawn